Tips for Someone With ADHD by Someone With ADHD

Hi, my name is Lily Panzitta, and this is my first official blog post for our class’s Culture Cram website. I’ve decided to share a couple tips and tricks for people with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, people with neurodivergent tendencies or just people who have trouble focusing/remembering in general. These are tips and tricks that have assisted me on a daily basis. 

 

1.) Setting alarms and reminders 

Setting alarms and/or reminders will train you to take breaks if you’re working on something for a while. The reason why it’s beneficial to people with ADHD is because typically they will hyper fixate on one task for a long time, losing track of time itself. They will neglect everything and everyone else around them and eventually burn out. Taking small breaks helps relax the mind and motivate you more when coming back to the task at hand.  

Although, a majority of the time, it can be the opposite for people. Putting your full attention into something can be very difficult if you really aren’t interested in that specific task. Which is why setting alarms can alert you to take a mental break and split up your time equally. It’s also a good way to keep track of how much time you’ve spent on each task. 

And lastly, as soon as someone tells me an important piece of information, it’s immediately written in my notes or reminders app. My reminder app has 20 reminders right now, which I check constantly (or let them pile up because I’m not the most organized clearly). But I HIGHLY recommend using the app because whenever there’s a plan, appointment, whatever, I set a reminder the night before, then the day of. That way I’m reminded twice of the event I have the next day/day of. Make sure to always include the time and place of where it is too! 

 

2.) Leaving items in the way or in the same spot every time 

If you move it, you’ll lose it. Think that way and nothing will get lost.. unless it’s stolen I guess.  

Over time I found this method to be one of the most successful ways to remember and not lose my belongings. It might sound ridiculous to leave items in the way, but by doing this, your memory is brought back instantly after seeing that specific item. It’s hard to forget you’re supposed to pack sunscreen for the beach if it’s in your path as you’re leaving. Of course, a note-to-self would suffice too.  

A lot of people know this, but still not enough. Leave your keys, phone, wallet, anything and everything in the same exact spot every. single. time. It will save you so much stress and energy you would’ve put into searching for your valuables if you had just left them in the same spot you always do.  

 

3.) Time management 

Again, this might be more common knowledge, but divvy your time out equally to get chores/work/tasks done.  

I’ve struggled MANY times in the past trying to get things done on time because it feels like too much work in that moment. However, simply just using a little bit of your free time to get a small portion of your work done goes a long way. It’s still progress, and it won’t be as stressful when you do come back to the assignment or task at hand because some of it is completed already. 

Prioritize the most important thing, then check off the rest of your to-do list over time, not all at once. 

 

4.) Chew gum, don’t pick or fidget 

Picking and fidgeting are other symptoms of ADHD that I have still yet to fully overcome. This happens primarily because of lack of stimulation (boredom) or anxiety. For me, I feel it’s more of a lack of stimulation. I tend to pick at my skin, nails, or hair. This symptom starts becoming an issue when there’s scarring or bleeding occurring. The fidgeting starts becoming an issue when you’re completely off task and supposed to be concentrating on something else. 

To overcome this though, I have found a couple tricks that work. First of all, chewing gum is a great way to steer away from constant fidgeting or picking. You’re still doing something repetitive, so there’s less need to pick or fidget. Second of all, drinking water. It keeps you hydrated and preoccupied. Many ADHDers find playing with fidget toys works too, but I don’t find them to be very effective for me. It all depends on how you are.

Ultimately, the best way to quit this habit is by redirecting or distracting yourself with something else. This symptom may not even apply to you, but everyone displays symptoms differently, some being more predominant than others. 

 

5.) Other tips worth mentioning 

-Break things into smaller portions so it feels like there’s less to get done 

-Set a small goal that you can get done fairly quick and easy, then make a bigger goal, then an even bigger goal. As you progress, you can keep building on that goal and eventually look back and realize how far you’ve come. 

-Do work with other people in the room (unless that distracts you) 

-Draw while listening, play music while studying, etc. Just doing two things at once can be more motivating because it’s more stimulating than trying to put all your energy or attention into one thing. 

 

Conclusion: 

All of these tips and tricks depend on the type of person you are. Whatever works for you works. There are many other ways to overcome symptoms and tendencies as well. Remember that there’s almost always someone else out there who thinks or feels the same way, which is why I wanted to create this post. I want to inform and help others who may need it. 

Anyway, this is the end of my first blog post, and if you made it all the way to here, I appreciate it and hope these tips are effective for you or a friend.  

Stay updated for more blog posts! 

Thank you again! 

XOXO Lily Panzitta

 


Comments

  1. I love this. I liked tip 2 especially, I never thought of doing that before so I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the genuinely the best tips I ever read, it helped me so much because I do the same stuffs, like forgetting something, and talking random stuff when my friend is on other topic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment